Government Affairs Manager
Position Summary: The Energy Efficiency Alliance is soliciting applications for a full-time Government Affairs Manager position.
The Government Affairs Manager is responsible for supporting development and execution of a strategy to advance policy that will expand the energy efficiency market in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The role will require working on the ground with business and non-profit partners, as well as cultivating relationships with key state decision-makers and elected officials. Additionally, the Manager will work directly with KEEA and EEA-NJ member companies to educate them about policy developments and represent their interests in KEEA and EEA-NJ’s advocacy.
- Collaborate closely with the EEA team and keep teammates appropriately informed through weekly Policy Team meetings.
- Track and review legislative developments that impact energy efficiency in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Support ED and Policy Committee in defining and establishing organization policy priorities, strategy and public-facing positions.
- Craft and execute operations plans to support policy priorities and strategy; outline an ambitious, targeted and strategic legislative policy agenda that aligns with broader organization policy goals.
- Develop campaign plans around key legislative priorities, lead campaigns, coordinate associated coalition efforts, and conduct individual legislative outreach to advance legislation.
- Write content for fact sheets, policy memos, legislative text, testimonies, and other materials to advance the organizations’ policy agenda. Generate earned media around our issues, in collaboration with Communications Manager. Give media interviews, contribute to press statements, author content for op-eds and LTEs, etc.
- Build and maintain relationships with legislators and local elected officials. Support Policy Counsel in relationships with regulatory officials, utility partners, and their staff.
- Connect EEA members to policy via education, opportunities to meet with elected officials, and opportunities for members to contribute their expertise to the development of policy such as focus groups, group sign on comments, etc.
- Represent KEEA and EEA-NJ in coalitions with business groups and associations, environmental organizations, low-income and energy equity advocates, and other aligned interests. Lead select coalitions by facilitating monthly meetings, creating meaningful agendas, and managing coalition actions.
- Provide regular updates, legislative summaries, and responses to inquiries from member companies and board of directors.
- Organize events, including legislative briefings, lobby days, and in-district events.
- Co-Lead the Board Policy Committee by facilitating monthly committee meetings, coordinating with committee chairs and ED to set meeting agendas, etc.
- Work with entire EEA team on fundraising priorities, administrative responsibilities, membership growth and development, and annual conference planning
- Frequent travel to Harrisburg, Trenton, and other PA and NJ cities is required; EEA will adhere to any federally updated COVID-19 safety guidance.
- Prefer one to three years’ experience in energy policy work and/or advocacy
- Proven track record in policy advancement, particularly legislative policy
- Experience in lobbying
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills
- Strong ability to communicate complex policy issues to a range of audiences
- Experience working in coalition with diverse stakeholders
- Experience in and knowledge of the energy efficiency field preferred
- Ability to work within a dispersed team and maintain a professional remote workspace